Gimp question

Charles Curley charlescurley at
Sun Jan 8 21:41:25 MST 2006

I have a GIF image I'd like to add text to. I open the image, I set up
the text tool as I want it. This includes black for the foreground
color. I go to the image, and click on a location, and start
typing. The color of the text is only slightly darker than the
original image color, and certainly is not black. What am I doing