Linux and GPS

Charles Curley charlescurley at
Fri Jan 6 20:27:11 MST 2006

On Fri, Jan 06, 2006 at 06:37:48PM -0700, Stuart Jansen wrote:
> I'm thinking about buying a GPS receiver and want to make sure that I
> get something that will work well with Linux. It looks like there's an
> official standard protocol that most GPS units implement, but I haven't
> been able to figure out if this protocol applies to current location
> information only, or if it can also be used to upload and download
> waypoints.

I take it you mean NMEA-0183, a proprietary
standard. It supports real time data,
but not waypoints. There is no standard for waypoints, but gpsbabel
will help there.

> Does anyone have any experience or suggestions?

Check out gpsdrive. Also
"Finding Your Way with GpsDrive", by someone you've never heard of,
Linux Journal, March (or so),

Also check out gpsd, a daemon for watching GPSs. It supports both
serial and USB NMEA GPS receivers. See the
hardware page for compatible GPS