Linux and GPS

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Fri Jan 6 20:27:11 MST 2006

On Fri, Jan 06, 2006 at 06:37:48PM -0700, Stuart Jansen wrote:
> I'm thinking about buying a GPS receiver and want to make sure that I
> get something that will work well with Linux. It looks like there's an
> official standard protocol that most GPS units implement, but I haven't
> been able to figure out if this protocol applies to current location
> information only, or if it can also be used to upload and download
> waypoints.

I take it you mean NMEA-0183, a proprietary
standard. http://www.nmea.org/pub/0183/ It supports real time data,
but not waypoints. There is no standard for waypoints, but gpsbabel
will help there. http://www.gpsbabel.org/

> Does anyone have any experience or suggestions?

Check out gpsdrive. http://freshmeat.net/projects/gpsdrive/ Also
"Finding Your Way with GpsDrive", by someone you've never heard of,
Linux Journal, March (or so),
2005. http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/7406

Also check out gpsd, a daemon for watching GPSs. It supports both
serial and USB NMEA GPS receivers. http://gpsd.berlios.de/ See the
hardware page for compatible GPS
receivers. http://gpsd.berlios.de/hardware.html