Linux and GPS

Barry Roberts blr at robertsr.us
Fri Jan 6 19:33:49 MST 2006

On Fri, Jan 06, 2006 at 06:37:48PM -0700, Stuart Jansen wrote:
> I'm thinking about buying a GPS receiver and want to make sure that I
> get something that will work well with Linux. It looks like there's an
> official standard protocol that most GPS units implement, but I haven't
> been able to figure out if this protocol applies to current location
> information only, or if it can also be used to upload and download
> waypoints.
>
> Does anyone have any experience or suggestions?

I have a garmin.  I send it geocaching waypoints all the time with
gpsbabel.  It's an older model.  I hear some manufacturer's newer
models are USB, so I don't know about them.  My brother-in-law just
bought a new eTrex legend and it is serial, and worked with Linux just
fine.

I never planned to spend a lot of money on expensive map CD-ROM's, so
the fact that AFAICT there's no way to put maps on a GPS with Linux
has never bothered me.

Barry