Log watching

Hans Fugal hans at fugal.net
Thu Jan 5 13:57:34 MST 2006

Stuart Jansen wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-01-05 at 11:06 -0700, Steve wrote:
>
>>I would like to trim that log down to roughly 7 days or so since the
>>server this is on is now pretty high traffic.
>>I'm just wondering what tools there may exist so I can just set it and
>>forget it, to automatically clean up my system message logs.
>

> Log rotate and log watch are both quite useful. Not sure what package
> name they'll be under on Gentoo.

This is a tangent but I blame Stuart. I was never satisfied with
logwatch or any of the other log digest software I've seen, so I started
my own half-baked log distiller that I'm also not (yet) happy with.

Yes, my friends, this is a Shameless PLUG. (PLUG, get it? oh nevermind)

http://hans.fugal.net/src/clog/clog-0.1.0.tar.gz
http://hans.fugal.net/src/clog/doc/