OT: Zaurus and extras for sale

Shane Hathaway shane at hathawaymix.org
Thu Jan 5 12:20:19 MST 2006

Stuart Jansen wrote:
> You've got to be a pretty hard core geek to subscribe to lkml. Expecting
> an lkml subscriber to understand the intricacies of MUA's and 'reply'
> vs. 'reply to all' vs. 'reply to list' isn't asking too much. On the
> Plug list, however, we're still struggling to help some people
> understand why using Outlook is stupid. (Sorry, couldn't resist Josh.)
> Plug targets a much broader audience. We want welcome even the most
> inexperience newbie and make it easy for him or her to participate. We
> also want to encourage discussion to take place on the list. (Again, I
> point to the local example of the SLLUG list which was basically
> moribund for years until it started munging.) The fact of the matter is
> that munging has proved itself useful for fostering a culture that is in
> the best interest of Plug. That culture is obviously going to have
> different objectives than most more focused and geeky lists.

That's good logic, Stuart.  I was not aware of the thinking behind the
decision.  This will be useful for me in the future.  If we had not had
this discussion, I would not have been aware of this consideration.
Thank you for spelling it out.  After all, universities don't have a
"Mailing List Administration 101" course, and the only way to pick up
this wisdom is to discuss it.

Shane