OT: Zaurus and extras for sale

Stuart Jansen sjansen at buscaluz.org
Thu Jan 5 11:44:57 MST 2006

On Thu, 2006-01-05 at 11:14 -0700, Shane Hathaway wrote:
> How would you describe the difference in atmosphere?  This list seems
> very similar to the LKML, though the volume is lower and the topics are
> broader.

For starters, the volume is lower and the topic is broader. The number
of subscribers is also smaller and the audience is different.

You've got to be a pretty hard core geek to subscribe to lkml. Expecting
an lkml subscriber to understand the intricacies of MUA's and 'reply'
vs. 'reply to all' vs. 'reply to list' isn't asking too much. On the
Plug list, however, we're still struggling to help some people
understand why using Outlook is stupid. (Sorry, couldn't resist Josh.)
Plug targets a much broader audience. We want welcome even the most
inexperience newbie and make it easy for him or her to participate. We
also want to encourage discussion to take place on the list. (Again, I
point to the local example of the SLLUG list which was basically
moribund for years until it started munging.) The fact of the matter is
that munging has proved itself useful for fostering a culture that is in
the best interest of Plug. That culture is obviously going to have
different objectives than most more focused and geeky lists.

If that means that every once in awhile people make a mistake and look
silly, all the better. Otherwise, if I want to make fun of Harley I have
to track down a picture of him and draw on a mustache myself. (Oh, wait,
that won't work... Maybe I could make his beard green... No, wait,
already been done. Well, shoot,)

Stuart Jansen              e-mail/jabber: sjansen at buscaluz.org
                           google talk:   stuart.jansen at gmail.com
* ^From:.*sjansen@