Automagic Log trimming?

Steve smorrey at gmail.com
Thu Jan 5 11:06:42 MST 2006

Hello, my /var/log/messages now weighs in at a hefty 35MB most of
which is "cron run complete" messages dating back a month or so ago.
Problem is it used to only grow at a rate of 100-200k per day, now due
to traffic, it's hitting a few MBs per day.

I would like to trim that log down to roughly 7 days or so since the
server this is on is now pretty high traffic.
I'm just wondering what tools there may exist so I can just set it and
forget it, to automatically clean up my system message logs.

Thanks in advance!

p.s.  This is a Gentoo box.