Viewing cvs logs

Bryan Sant bryan.sant at gmail.com
Wed Jan 4 11:49:23 MST 2006

On 1/3/06, Dave Smith <DavidSmith at byu.net> wrote:
> I use cvs, and I quite like the viewcvs web script for viewing diffs and
> such. However, now I want to view all the diffs and log messages from the
> last week (or any aribtrary date span), and I can't figure out how to do
> this with the 'cvs log' command nor with the viewcvs web interface. Any
> ideas?
>
> --Dave

The cvs log command should show you all logs for all revisions.  You
should see every log ever entered for a given file by default.  You
could narrow this my dates, or just pipe to less.

You can specify a date for a given operation on the command-line.  If
I want to see the diff between your local copy and a revision no
earlier than a given date, you would execute:

cvs diff -D <some-date> <the file>

For example:

cvs diff -D 2005-10-01 AnalyticsManager.java

I'm not aware of a way to pass a date range to the cvs command.  If
you want to see every diff for a week, then loop with a shell script
replacing the day in the date you pass to cvs.

How this helps,
-Bryan