Lexmark Strangeness

Michael L Torrie torriem at chem.byu.edu
Wed Jan 4 10:50:21 MST 2006

On Tue, 2006-01-03 at 10:54 -0700, Bryan Sant wrote:
> On 1/3/06, Steve <smorrey at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Everytime I reboot if I want to print I have to keep doing this.
> > Anyone have any ideas?
>
> You are running udev.  /dev is not a real filesystem, it is virtual,
> and it is created every time you boot.  You need to look at
> /etc/udev/permissions.rules.  Your fix there will survive a reboot.

Not to nitpick, but /dev is on the real file system on some distros.
It's just that udev populates it with dev entries on demand.  On some
systems (but not fedora core 3), the /dev on the root partition only
contains a few bootstrap device nodes, and then has a tmpfs file system
mounted overtop in /dev that is populated by udev (so this is in effect
a virtual file syste).  This is probably where all distros are heading.

Michael