Wiki recommendations

Tyler Strickland tyler at tylers.org
Tue Jan 3 17:32:55 MST 2006

On 01/03/2006 05:20 PM, Mister E wrote:
> Howdy all,
>
> Does anyone have recommendations on a wiki (or blog) program that would
> work well as a manual/FAQ reference guide where several users can create
> posts?

After looking at most of the blog and wiki software out there, I chose
MediaWiki for my wiki and WordPress for my blog.  I like each in its own
realm - a wiki for organized storage of linked data; a blog for, well, a
blog.  To my knowledge, both allow you to setup user restrictions for
posting and editing content.  Both run with a MySQL backend for data
storage.  Both can be customized fairly easily.

For a FAQ, I would probably recommend a wiki, myself, since you're going
to have much more freedom in your page layout and formatting than with a
blog.  Most blog software just wouldn't be able to handle the
organizational requirements most FAQ's require.

--Tyler