Debian vim weirdness

Hans Fugal hans at fugal.net
Sat Feb 25 07:24:58 MST 2006

If you just want a quick command-line editor for quick tasks, Levi might
be right. If you've got the gumption to spare, though, do check out vim
or emacs. They both have tutorials that you can go through in a few
minutes and if you are paying close enough attention when you do you can
get a bit of a feel for it. Warning: both of them will seem really
wierd the first time through the tutorial, vim probably more so.

As for capabilities they can both do everything you want: line numbers
and searching. I don't use emacs much so I can't speak for startup time
vs. vim (that old behemoth argument doesn't hold nearly as much water
these days, but it might still hold some), but vim is quick enough.

For an amusing set of slides (toot toot) on why you want to learn vim or
emacs see my "You might be a Notepad (emacs) user if..." slides at
http://hans.fugal.net/vim/