Debian vim weirdness

Steve smorrey at gmail.com
Fri Feb 24 22:51:26 MST 2006

Ok, so /me puts on flame retardant suit...
I use neither vim nor emacs, I've been pretty happy with nano thus far
for text editing, but I think I would like more out of my editor.
I am starting to get into shell scripting, as well as a few other
kinds of scripting after spending a few years doing "real" programming
in C/C++ etc.

I really don't want a full fledged IDE since I have Kdevelop for that,
but just something to quickly change a line or two in a script would
be fantastic.  Hopefully something that can show me line numbers like
Kwrite, so I can quickly find and edit offending lines of code.

I would just keep using Kwrite for this task, however the primary
development environment is a gentoo server I'm connecting to via SSH,
and I really don't want to emerge kde on this box, or for that matter
anywindow manager.

So for this set of tasks, what would be better VIM(and family) or emacs.
Also where can I find a good tutorial for whichever one you think is
best at aimed at a neophyte to the tool?

Thoughts?