Debian vim weirdness

Hans Fugal hans at
Fri Feb 24 22:42:55 MST 2006

Huh, I never knew this one existed. In the last year or so I've
gravitated toward vim in a terminal over gvim. In any case I've done
just fine with the vim-gtk or vim-ruby Debian packages for as long as I
can remember. I usually install vim-ruby (which includes gtk) with the
intent of eventually figuring out how to script vim with ruby. I have
yet to actually do this, or even to learn to script vim in any language
(aside from syntax files and colorschemes).

Come to think of it, I stopped using gvim about when they switched to
gtk2. There were some problems that I would hope have been resolved by
now. Plus about that time I got my iBook and gvim is not a first-class
osx app so I just stick with the terminal.

On Sat, 25 Feb 2006 at 03:34 +0000, Jason Holt wrote:
> If vim looks different for you debian users, it's because they apparently
> just made the "vim" package into some sort of stripped down version, while
> "vim-full" is the vim we've come to know and love (or hate).  "apt-get
> install vim-full" fixed the problem for me.
> 					-J
> /*
> PLUG:, #utah on
> Unsubscribe: