Making your own dial-up ISP on a floppy disk (or boot CD)

Michael Torrie torriem at
Fri Feb 24 13:40:24 MST 2006

Shane Hathaway wrote:
> I would remaster Knoppix.  It is surprisingly easy and a lot of people
> do it.  I successfully removed all of the GUI software from Knoppix,
> installed my own software, and created a 120 MB CD that boots to my
> software.
> Even if you want a smaller CD, this is probably the best way to get
> started because you'll learn the basics before diving into optimization.

Sure.  My current plan is to make a knoppix CD.

My original question still stands, though.  Does anyone have experience
in setting up a dial-in server system under linux?  (mingetty, pppd,
etc)? That's my real question.  Better yet does a boot cd or floppy
already exist to do this?  I'd think so since this can't be all that
unusual (at least 10 years ago anyway.. ;).