Making your own dial-up ISP on a floppy disk (or boot CD)

Shane Hathaway shane at hathawaymix.org
Fri Feb 24 13:01:25 MST 2006

Michael Torrie wrote:
> I am trying to create a simple setup to allow a person to put a floppy
> or boot CD into a drive and boot it into linux which will listen on a
> modem (only needs to support one piece of hardware) and allow a remote
> windows client to make a ppp connection in and access the local network.
>
> This seems like a very simple thing and I'd think there would already be
> several images out there to do this.  However I'm coming up completely
> blank.  According to google, there are some howtos but they have a
> number of gaps in them (they mostly refer to receiving faxes) and were
> written for RedHat 5.2 and things.  The info is still valid, but I'm
> having a hard time putting it all together.  Does anyone know of an
> existing floppy distro that can do this, or have any of you had
> experience setting this up?
>
> Any help would be appreciated.

I would remaster Knoppix.  It is surprisingly easy and a lot of people
do it.  I successfully removed all of the GUI software from Knoppix,
installed my own software, and created a 120 MB CD that boots to my
software.

http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Knoppix_Remastering_Howto

Even if you want a smaller CD, this is probably the best way to get
started because you'll learn the basics before diving into optimization.

Shane