Making your own dial-up ISP on a floppy disk (or boot CD)

Michael Torrie torriem at chem.byu.edu
Fri Feb 24 12:09:59 MST 2006

I am trying to create a simple setup to allow a person to put a floppy
or boot CD into a drive and boot it into linux which will listen on a
modem (only needs to support one piece of hardware) and allow a remote
windows client to make a ppp connection in and access the local network.

This seems like a very simple thing and I'd think there would already be
several images out there to do this.  However I'm coming up completely
blank.  According to google, there are some howtos but they have a
number of gaps in them (they mostly refer to receiving faxes) and were
written for RedHat 5.2 and things.  The info is still valid, but I'm
having a hard time putting it all together.  Does anyone know of an
existing floppy distro that can do this, or have any of you had
experience setting this up?

Any help would be appreciated.

Michael