Internet problems

Jeff Nyman Jeff.Nyman at caselle.com
Fri Feb 24 09:10:20 MST 2006

I have been fighting this for a few months and can't resolve it so I thought
I would come to the experts.
First my set up-
Utopia with xmission as the ISP
4 linux boxes and 2 windows boxes on the internal network with a smoothwall
router/firewall/DHCP server

int. network - smoothwall - linksys router - utopia box

The linux boxes (Fedora 4) can never seem to find the internet. They can
ping each other and the windows boxes but for some reason can't ping the
smoothwall box. The windows boxes can ping everything. But, if I ping my
static IP which is on the linksys router outside the smoothwall that works
and then I have internet access. But if they sit for a while they seem to
forget about it and not work again. I have set static routes, turned off
IPV6 and tried fedora 3 and open suse 10 with the same results. The windows
boxes never have a problem.
Any ideas?