Solid DNS servers

Tyler Strickland tyler at tylers.org
Fri Feb 24 08:59:29 MST 2006

On 02/24/2006 12:39 AM, Gabriel Gunderson wrote:
> I keep a list of good DNS servers but I haven't updated them for a while
> (OK, years).  Now that I'm having trouble with my ISP's servers, I'm
> finding out that the list is full of name servers that are weak, slow or
> dead.  Do you all have name servers in the area that you like to use?
> How about sharing?

I run my own DNS server (like many here) to avoid the flakyness of
Comcast.  The server I use is PowerDNS.  It has the capability to
install just the recursor component, which is all you need unless you're
adding something to the DNS records for your own servers, etc.  In
Debian, it's pdns-recursor.  The configuration file has only 5 settings,
so it's pretty easy to setup.

--Tyler