Solid DNS servers

Andrew Jorgensen andrew.jorgensen at gmail.com
Fri Feb 24 08:29:55 MST 2006

On 2/24/06, Benjamin Schmuhl <schmuhl at gmail.com> wrote:
> Marc Christensen wrote:
> > I set up my own DNS server and have it use the ISP's DNS servers only as
> > forwarders.
>
> Does anyone have a reference for a tutorial on setting up Bind DNS?  I'm
> looking to do the same thing as Marc here.

Most distros have bind configured as cacheing only (what you probably
want unless you have your own domains to manage with it) by default.
So in most cases it's just a matter of installing bind and pointing
resolve.conf at it.  It should know already where the root servers are
and "just work".

You may also want to consider using anything but bind.  It's overkill
for what you want to do and is a little to famous for security
problems (though not nearly as famous as sendmail).