Utopia woes

Matthew Walker matt at thebraingarden.com
Thu Feb 23 12:26:07 MST 2006

On Thursday 23 February 2006 12:11, Carl Youngblood wrote:
> My office just got a Utopia connection.  We're using a great linux distro
> called ipcop to handle our firewall/vpn needs.  For some weird reason the
> hardware that utopia installed does not like our firewall.  When we hook
> laptops directly up to the connection we get 15 Mbps, but when we hook up
> the firewall we get about 1Mbps.  We tried two different NIC chipsets
> (Realtek and SiS) and they both gave us the same problem.  The Utopia
> technicians are dumb as a post and haven't been able to help us at all.
> Can any of you recommend some troubleshooting ideas that could help me to
> diagnose the problem?  Since I'm troubleshooting this remotely I basically
> only have ssh access to the firewall so any diagnostics I can run from the
> command line would be best.  Our ping times with Xmission (our Utopia
> provider) are normal (2-3 ms), but our throughput is abysmal.  mii-diag
> tells me that both of our active NICs (the one connected to Utopia and the
> one connected to our LAN) are running at 100baseTx full duplex.
> /sbin/ifconfig says there are no errors or dropped packets on either eth0
> or eth1.  Any other ideas?  I don't have much experience at diagnosing
> bandwidth problems like this.

Can the firewall box itself, when not acting like a firewall, get normal
speeds? What about when it is acting like a firewall? How beefy a box is the
firewall?

Are any of your iptables rules showing lots of matches?

--
Matthew Walker
ForeverGreen
matt at thebraingarden.com
Work: (801) 655-5500
Home: (801) 491-2079

Random Quote:
The Least Successful Equal Pay Advertisement
	In 1976 the European Economic Community pointed out to the Irish
Government that it had not yet implemented the agreed sex equality
legislation.  The Dublin Government immediately advertised for an equal pay
enforcement officer.  The advertisement offered different salary scales for
men and women.
		-- Stephen Pile, "The Book of Heroic Failures"