[OT] Re: UVLUG presents Pete Ashdown on Open Source, politics andgovernment *PLUS* an installfest!

Justin Findlay jfindlay at gmail.com
Wed Feb 22 17:47:27 MST 2006

On 2/22/06, Josh Hansen <josh_lists at xmission.com> wrote:
> Grant Robinson wrote:
> > So, if I said that lots of people get abortions and it doesn't seem to
> > harm the mother or society, would you say I was pro-life or pro-choice?
>
> I would say you were pro-life if you felt that abortion should be
> illegal, and pro-choice if you felt that women should be allowed to
> choose.  Since I don't think porn should be illegal, I suppose I must be
> pro-porn.

I think it is a mistake to take complex ethical issues and then assume
you're either for or against them.  Most people I know like to judge
things much more discriminately than that.

> My point there was that with as large as the porn industry is, and with
> the amount of people who indulge in pornography out there, it can't be
> as harmful to society as Richard Miller believes it is, because the vast
> majority of society functions just fine.  I wasn't exactly saying that
> porn is good just because it's popular.

A lot of people, including me, don't believe the vast majority of
society is functioning just fine and having acknowledged that society
isn't functioning just fine I'm willing to believe that pornography
may have something to do with it.

Justin