[OT] Re: UVLUG presents Pete Ashdown on Open Source, politics andgovernment *PLUS* an installfest!

Josh Hansen josh_lists at xmission.com
Wed Feb 22 16:06:36 MST 2006

Josh Coates wrote:

> so unless you actually want to make any intelligent pro-porn arguments to
> generate useful discussion, do us a favor and save it.
>
> -josh

I wasn't trying to make a pro-porn argument, I was trying to argue that
basing your vote on a candidate's stance on pornography doesn't make a
lot of sense, and I also added my opinion that porn is not harmful to
society, without adding a lot of hard facts and statistics because I
assumed that nobody would care.  If you want to read past the first few
lines of my original post and discuss the rest of it with me, please do,
but any more of these pointless spams from you will simply get you added
to my blacklist.  There are plenty of intelligent and civil people on
this list who can argue with my post if they want to, I have no need or
desire to waste any more time than I have responding to posts like this.

Anyway, I rarely read slashdot, but from statistics I am finding now (on
a lot of sites, but mainly from the same two sources,
http://internet-filter-review.toptenreviews.com/internet-pornography-statistics.html
and http://www.familysafemedia.com/pornography_statistics.html, porn is
a 57 billion dollar industry worldwide, and 12 billion in the US, which
is larger than the combined revenue of all professional football,
baseball and basketball franchises, and the combined revenue of ABC,
CBS, and NBC.

If such a large industry is so harmful to society, where is all the
harm?  I know that some people like to blame rape and other sexual abuse
crimes, the divorce rate, etc on porn, but I don't buy that, and I
haven't seen any information to convince me otherwise.