[OT] Re: UVLUG presents Pete Ashdown on Open Source, politics andgovernment *PLUS* an installfest!

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Wed Feb 22 15:47:13 MST 2006

On Wed, Feb 22, 2006 at 03:29:56PM -0700, Josh Hansen wrote:
> Josh Coates wrote:
> > this is a bunch of clichéd ignorance.
> >
> > if you are going to be all "pro-pornography" then at least do it right and
> > try doing some homework before you spew this mindless crap.
> >
> > -josh
> >

> Could you please be a little more specific about how I am wrong?

Not to say that what you've already said is wrong, but there are other
arguments to be made for the positive benefits of porn. See,
e.g, Wendy McElroy, XXX: A Woman's Right to Pornography, St. Martin's
Press, 1995.

Also, this mess got started with Richard Miller's comments, in which
he compared porn with [illegal] drugs. In both cases, it is the Nanny
State protecting us from ourselves, which is insulting. It is also on
the route to tyranny. One of the best cases for drug legalization was
made by Frances Cairncross in the Economist, 28 July, 2001. Much of
that essay could also be applied to porn.