UVLUG presents Pete Ashdown on Open Source, politics and government *PLUS* an installfest!

Bryan Sant bryan.sant at gmail.com
Wed Feb 22 11:16:56 MST 2006

On 2/22/06, Roberto Mello <rmello at fslc.usu.edu> wrote:
> In all honesty, I don't understand the distinctions between conservatives
> and liberals that self-professed conservatives and liberals label each
> other with. Every time I've tried to look at them, they seem to be
> artificially placed by the opposing side.
>
> So, I ask, what makes a person "conservative enough" for you?
>
> -Roberto

We live in a republic.  Thus we are represented by our elected
officials.  Naturally we want to elect people who *best* represent us.
 People who will think and vote like we might if we were elected.  For
whatever reason there are two main ways of thinking in our society:
conservative and liberal.

I too would vote for a Democrat if he were "conservative enough".  I
wouldn't vote for a liberal person because he/she had a few good
opinions on technology (not that this is the case with Mr. Ashdown) --
but was going to vote contrary to nearly every other opinion I have.
If Mr. Ashdown was for God, family, country, personal responsibility,
limited government, reduced taxation, traditional marage, and other
conservative values, then I would consider voting for him.

Just my $0.02.

-Bryan