A departement moving to Linux...

Gary Thornock gthornock at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 17 15:12:18 MST 2006

--- Bryan Sant <bryan.sant at gmail.com> wrote:
> 3) I'm one of the biggest Linux proponents here, but I still
> find it unsettling that we are FORCING the engineers here to
> run Linux even if they don't want to.  Some (a surprising
> minority) would rather run Windows because that's what they are
> most effective with.  Frankly I agree that they should have a
> choice.  Am I a freak for not stoning those who don't want to
> run Linux?

No, I don't think that's a freakish attitude at all, given that
the people using the computers are engineers (who, at least in
theory, know what tools they're most effective with and know how
to support them).

For the last while, I've been fortunate to work in a development
group where people use whatever environment they're most
productive with.  We have a few who run Windows, a couple who
run Linux, and a couple who managed to make a credible case for
getting Powerbooks instead of Thinkpads, who run Tiger.  Of
course, I'm the odd one running FreeBSD :)  That heterogeneous
arrangement has worked out well, and I'd suggest that, for an
engineering group, it's a good way to go.