A departement moving to Linux...

Stuart Jansen sjansen at buscaluz.org
Fri Feb 17 14:40:18 MST 2006

On Fri, 2006-02-17 at 14:29 -0700, Charles Curley wrote:
> > *snip* I used to
> > like KDE -- then I ran Ubuntu with the later releases of Gnome -- now
> > I don't like KDE.  SUSE has the Novell Desktop (Gnome) but GTK/Gnome
> > is an afterthought in the SUSE world.  Anyway, I'll be rebuilding my
> > system with breezy soon.
>
> Can you not run Gnome on top of SUSE?

Note Bryan's penultimate sentense: "SUSE has the Novell Desktop (Gnome)
but GTK/Gnome is an afterthought in the SUSE world."

Novel Linux Desktop (NLD) is a version of SUSE distinct from SUSE Linux
Professional and SUSE Linux Enterprise Server. It is based on Gnome. I
have never used it. I have, however, used multiple versions of SLES and
SL, including the latest.

Gnome support was significantly improved with SUSE 10, but is still
pretty shoddy. There is are multiple light years of difference between
the polished Gnome desktop shipped with Ubuntu and the ignored and
abused Gnome desktop shipped with SUSE. Rumor has it SL10.1 (which
SLES10 should be based on) will have significantly improved Gnome
support.

Stuart Jansen              e-mail/jabber: sjansen at buscaluz.org
                           google talk:   stuart.jansen at gmail.com
* ^From:.*sjansen@