Simple, insecure, embedded FTP server

Dave Smith DavidSmith at byu.net
Wed Feb 15 07:48:51 MST 2006

I am looking for a super-simple, super-INsecure, super-small FTP server
for my embedded PowerPC Linux project. Most FTP servers have too much
security for my use case, which is connectivity via a cross-over cable.
What I want is read/write access to the entire file system with or without
a password in an easy-to-install, cross-compilable package. Any ideas?

What I've tried so far:

I've cross-compiled wu_ftpd but I'm having a hard time running the binary
on the board. strace isn't forthcoming with the problem, though I have a
few clues. The binary simply exits without any output. I would *like* to
use wu, but am not encouraged thus far.

I also tried to cross-compile ProFTPd (which I very much like on x86), but
its build system compiles and runs a program as part of the build process,
which is a big no-no for cross-compiling for semi-obvious reasons. After
hacking the configure script, I got a bit further but soon realized that
it was a dead-end, at least for now.

I would *really* like a simple C++ FTP server class (or set of C
functions) that I could just embed (no pun intended) in my embedded
application, but the only one I've found on the web (CFtpServer) just
sucks.

In the mean time, I'm having a great time trying out all this weird stuff,
and playing with embedded Linux is just plain fun.

Thanks in advance.

--Dave