Reminder about MythTV Meeting

Michael Halcrow mike at halcrow.us
Tue Feb 14 13:31:58 MST 2006

On Tue, Feb 14, 2006 at 12:46:01PM -0700, Tyler Strickland wrote:
> You mean like the ECS motherboard I got free with a Sempron 2200+
> from Fry's a couple of years ago?  It's powering my MythTV system as
> we speak.  I do admit that buying an ECS board can be a risky
> endeavor, but they do occasionally work.

I don't think it is so much the mainboard manufacturer as it is the
BIOS and the chipset on the mainboard. Cheap mainboards tend to have
second-class chipsets and BIOSes. Although rumor has it that cheap
boards have lower longetivity, even if they do work at first.

And to be fair, I have 5 high-load PCI devices (drive controllers and
multimedia cards) in my MythTV box. That ECS board is working fine in
my other workstation, which has a different set of peripherals.

Mike
Very few profundities can be expressed in fewer than 80 characters.