Reminder about MythTV Meeting

Michael Halcrow mike at halcrow.us
Tue Feb 14 09:34:35 MST 2006

On Tue, Feb 14, 2006 at 01:04:54AM -0700, Erin Sharmahd wrote:
> We'll also cover recommended and optional hardware requirements.

Yeah, like don't try it with your fancy MSI KT400 Ultra
mainboard. Cosmic karma would have it that I *just so happen* to have
the *exact* chipset that has problems with the PVR-250.  >:-(

http://ivtvdriver.org/index.php/Troubleshooting
http://ivtvdriver.org/index.php/Via_motherboard_problems

*Really* annoying problems... dropped MPEG 2 packets cause interesting
artifacts in the video (blips, pixelization, etc.). Then I eventually
get a DMA transfer timeout, and the driver goes into DMA la-la land
(that's a fun place).

On the plus side, I did take the opportunity to look the IVTV driver
code and learn something new about how device drivers in the kernel
handle DMA.  :-)

Oh... and then don't try to build a MythTV box w/ a $32 ECS mainboard
either. Little things might go wrong. For instance, your BIOS won't
make it past the hard drive detect stage. Or one of your two IDE
controller cards won't work, depending on which slot it's in.

In other words, do your homework before buying your mainboard. And
don't go cheap; you need a chipset and BIOS that can handle a very
demanding load.

Mike
The more you complain, the longer God lets you live.