no-www

Stuart Jansen sjansen at buscaluz.org
Sat Feb 11 16:41:02 MST 2006

On Sat, 2006-02-11 at 16:25 -0700, Justin Findlay wrote:
> Because do you even know how much of a chore it is to say "If you need
> to contact me, my web site is <breath, brief supplication heavenward
> for correct elocution> double-U double-U double-U dot mydomain dot
> US".

By using incorrect punctuation, you have failed to realize the full
advantage of my suggestion. Ask yourself, which is more reasonable:
"double-U double-U double-U dot mydomain dot US"?
or

On Sat, 2006-02-11 at 16:30 -0700, Ross Werner wrote:
> "W (double U) has, of all the letters in our alphabet, the only cumbrous
> name, the names of the others being monosyllabic. This advantage of the
> Roman alphabet over the Grecian is the more valued after audibly spelling
> out some simple Greek word, like epixoriambikos. Still, it is now thought
> by the learned that other agencies than the difference of the two
> alphabets may have been concerned in the decline of "the glory that was
> Greece" and the rise of "the grandeur that was Rome." There can be no
> doubt, however, that by simplifying the name of W (calling it "wow," for
> example) our civilization could be, if not promoted, at least better
> endured."

A few years ago I encountered some people who pronounced www.example.com
as "dub dub dub dot example dot com". The meme seems to have died, but I
propose we resurrect it by pronouncing "w" as "dub".

(You have to admit that ending the last two sentences "dot com." or
"dub." would have just looked stupid.)

Stuart Jansen              e-mail/jabber: sjansen at buscaluz.org
                           google talk:   stuart.jansen at gmail.com
* ^From:.*sjansen@