email vs. e-mail

Barry Roberts blr at robertsr.us
Sat Feb 11 14:59:32 MST 2006

On Sat, Feb 11, 2006 at 01:42:40PM -0700, Wade Preston Shearer wrote:
> Why's that? Why was it even implemented in the first place? What's
> the point in the sub-domain?

Um, because there are lots of different protocols on the Internet,
most of them pre-dating widespread use of http[s].  Before http caught
on, I don't remember using bare domain names for anything but email.
It was always gopher.umich.edu, ftp.ibm.com, wais.whatever, etc.

When the next big thing comes along and does to http what http did
to gopher, it might get its own DNS record type, but it will probably
be a sub-domain.

I don't think www. should go away, but since it has achieved a sort of
supremacy, it shouldn't be required.  I set up my DNS so with and
without point to the same thing.  I'm Class A.  Then I can still use
www. for old web servers during the transition to the latest
greatest. If that ever happens.

Barry