email vs. e-mail

Stuart Jansen sjansen at buscaluz.org
Sat Feb 11 13:38:23 MST 2006

On Sat, 2006-02-11 at 13:10 -0700, Mister E wrote:
> Removing the dash in e-commerce would make sense as well.

It saddens me to already see our noble email army splinter and succumb
to pointless infighting. However, my deeply felt need to always be right
prevents me from exercising self-control and trying to mend this rift.

Instead, I must point out that the Internet does not revolve around the
Web. If Tim Berners Lee hadn't been so lazy, perhaps HTTP could have
been enshrined alongside email and DNS with it's own record type. (As
popular wisdom teaches: "you snooze, you lose".) But until there is an
equivalent of MX and NS records for HTTP, www. is a valid solution. It
reminds us that as with FTP, HTTP is not critical to the Net. In
comparison, our dear SMTP (its creators be praised!) is.

I think "ecommerce" just looks stupid. Must we return to the
bad-old-days of eMac and eComStation and eYouStink? Instead, I say it's
time to refer ti e-commerce as plain old "commerce".

And while we're holding this frank discussion, I think it's time to put
punctuation in its proper place: outside of quotes.

Stuart Jansen              e-mail/jabber: sjansen at buscaluz.org
                           google talk:   stuart.jansen at gmail.com
* ^From:.*sjansen@