Archiving Projects-- TAPE vs. DVD

Mister E Mister.Ed at AgoraCart.com
Fri Feb 10 11:34:58 MST 2006

Josh Coates wrote:

>>Sorry, but I couldn't find any articles on people using hard
>>drives for long term data storage. Maybe someone can. My
>>suggestion is to stay away from it as it is not (at this
>>time) a technology really intended for this purpose.
>

> plenty of people use disk for long term archives.

I have used hard drives as storage for years.  I have plenty of drives
in storage that if I need information from, I plug it in and go.  I even
have some old MFM and Seagate ST 225 drives that are still intact and
useable, which coincidentally have outlasted a few CDs and optical
mediums I have archived to in the past. the key is to keep a few old
parts around too incase you need to fire up any obsolete archiving
equipment... instead of tossing them into the trash can or making wall
art formations from the parts.

If it's mission critical, mandated by law or similar regulation, try
multiple methods, if economically feasible for your situation.  I've
used multiple archiving methods in very large and very small
organizations when there were too many unknowns regarding reliability
and sustainability.  It's not that tough in most cases, plus it could
make you look wise and smart when dealing with non-tech boss types, if
you can show justification for any additional costs.

Mister Ed