Archiving Projects-- TAPE vs. DVD

Josh Coates jcoates at archive.org
Fri Feb 10 10:21:45 MST 2006

> Sorry, but I couldn't find any articles on people using hard
> drives for long term data storage. Maybe someone can. My
> suggestion is to stay away from it as it is not (at this
> time) a technology really intended for this purpose.

quick google:

in 2003 the SEC approved disk for archiving of financial records:
http://searchstorage.techtarget.com/tip/1,289483,sid5_gci912559,00.html

2004, time warner cable uses disk for long term archiving instead of tape:
http://www.techworld.com/storage/features/index.cfm?featureid=997&Page=1&pag
ePos=9

2004 58% of IT managers w/ 10TB tape archives were considering moving from
tape to disk archives.
http://www.snwonline.com/evaluate/udo_01-30-06.asp?article_id=659

plenty of people use disk for long term archives.

i could go on, but then i'd be wasting even more time because the vast
majority of people already know how to use google and can find this and oh
so much more themselves.

-josh