Archiving Projects-- TAPE vs. DVD

Corey Edwards tensai at zmonkey.org
Fri Feb 10 09:21:38 MST 2006

On Thu, 2006-02-09 at 19:41 -0700, Doran L. Barton wrote:
> dataw0lf wrote:
> > We use NetVault with two AIT-3 tape changers/autoloaders for archiving
> > specifically, and I have absolutely no complaints.
>
> NetVault is a four letter word. It is exactly because of this kind of piece
> of crap software that I abhor commercially licensed software.
>
> We've got three clients using NetVault right now. Two with LTO drives and
> one with DLT. All three of the backup systems are unreliable, unstable and
> difficult to manage. I would NEVER recommend NetVault to anyone.

That about sums up my experience with it.

> We're installing bacula and playing with it this week.

I made the switch from NetVault to Bacula after our backup server
crashed and we were having an impossible time getting our license
activated by BakBone. That there is a really good argument for not
putting your archiving eggs all in a proprietary basket.

Since the switch things been much better, although not perfect. Part of
that problem is I think we have more data than we really have tape to
archive it. But even when all else is working it sometimes freezes
during a backup. I have to restart the director and the currently
running job is abandoned. Surprisingly, for my purposes that hasn't
turned into such a bad thing so I'm satisfied with it.

Corey