Archiving Projects-- TAPE vs. DVD

Shane Hathaway shane at hathawaymix.org
Thu Feb 9 20:04:18 MST 2006

justin gedge wrote:
> calling all sys-ops to a thread--
>
> We're starting discussions at work on archiving projects on DVD instead
> of TAPE.  We are currently using DDS [various version depending upon
> capacity needs]
>
> I've got a few initial concerns with moving to DVD -- and can see a few
> benefits as well, but would appreciate any candid comments others have
> through experience-- articles you've seen posted recently about the
> different mediums etc...

I wouldn't use DVDs over tape.  But I would use UDO over tape, since UDO
uses chemical processes that are believed to be stable for 50 years.

http://www.plasmon.com/
http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/Reviews/Specific.aspx?ArticleId=15388

Spinning or MAID (massive array of idle disks) systems are potentially
quite reliable if they scan and validate the repository often.  You've
got to check out this thing:

http://www.openstore.com/disk-satabeast.htm

Both products claim about the same price ($2/GB).  However, there are a
lot of factors to weigh.  UDO is a proprietary technology, while SATA is
implemented widely.  SATA drives are only good for 5 years, so you'd
have to replace them ten times more often than UDO, although in a couple
of years you'll probably be able to upgrade to terabyte hard drives
(thereby decreasing the cost per gigabyte), while UDO isn't progressing
as quickly.  Then again, maybe HD capacity has stagnated.  Hard drives
provide much better access times and don't need a robotic library, but
UDO is not susceptible to electrical surges.  UDO is more likely to
survive a flood (Plasmon actually tested this.)

Personally, I'd pick UDO if it weren't proprietary.  As things stand
right now, I don't know which I'd pick.

Shane