Archiving Projects-- TAPE vs. DVD

justin gedge jgedge at amis.com
Thu Feb 9 14:59:21 MST 2006

Michael Halcrow wrote:

>I would suspect that one of those RAID NAS units would be a good
>backup solution for many environments. Sealed hard disks accessed via
>NFS/SMB/FTP over an Ethernet connection will probably be accessible
>for as long as you'll need the data, and they will certainly last
>longer than either tape or optical when being written to
>repeatedly. Here's something I found on NewEgg (note that I do not
>necessarily endorse this product, but it is pretty cheap for a
>stand-alone solution, at about 70 cents a gigabyte):
>
>http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822155306
>
>This one claims to do RAID-5, if you are a bit more paranoid about
>hardware failure (which you should be ;-):
>
>http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833329006
>
>Mike
>.___________________________________________________________________.
>"In science there are no authorities; at most, there are experts."
> - Carl Sagan

There was talk of having a massive archive server a few years ago-- I
thought it was a pretty cool idea-- but those discussions never
materialized.  I suspect that there is some comfort in something that
sits on a shelf w/ no maintenance requirements. [warning *** personal
opinion here] Something that does it's job regardless of re-orgs, job
changes, business climate etc...  Lets face it- as painfull as some
tapes are to read, you can usually [with a little patience] pull one out
from 10-20 years ago and pull data off it [if it was written correctly,
if the guy who wrote it verified he had his data on the tape]-- and you
can do this regardless  of wether it was VAX, HP-UX, Sun etc...

I thought it was cool- you'd have the advantage of capacity, random
access [all archived data could be made available to all -- wich woudl
be really cool], and speed.  Way faster than TAPE or DVD.  It never
materialized though...

Justin Gedge