Archiving Projects-- TAPE vs. DVD

justin gedge jgedge at amis.com
Thu Feb 9 12:44:38 MST 2006

calling all sys-ops to a thread--

We're starting discussions at work on archiving projects on DVD instead
of TAPE.  We are currently using DDS [various version depending upon
capacity needs]

I've got a few initial concerns with moving to DVD -- and can see a few
benefits as well, but would appreciate any candid comments others have
through experience-- articles you've seen posted recently about the
different mediums etc...

Specifically-- the goal is to archive data from a project.  This is NOT
for a nightly backup [nightly back ups are covered already].  This is
for pulling project data off the system [when the project is done] and
storing it on a medium that will be archived both locally an in a
document control center for easy retrieval at a future date [if
needed].  Longevity is a concern, as well as capacity.

Justin Gedge