UUG MythTV Meeting Coming Up!

Michael Halcrow mike at halcrow.us
Tue Feb 7 13:37:42 MST 2006

On Tue, Feb 07, 2006 at 12:13:10PM -0700, Erin Sharmahd wrote:
> On Thursday (Feb 16), we'll show off some of the features of MythTV
> and let it show you why you want it.

FYI, I just finished putting together a RAID-5 terabyte MythTV box
(Debian-based) for my entertainment system. I have a PVR 250 and an HD
3000 card in there, I am using an IR Blaster to change channels, I
have three different IDE controller chipsets in my box, and I am
running dm-crypt. I might be able to help out if someone has any
questions with that sort of a setup.

I do have some usability comments about MythTV (like how some options
that should be 2 menu levels deep are 6 menu levels deep or how one
needs to constantly rebuild his video database through Setup when he
adds or removes a file in a directory), along with several fundamental
design criticisms (like C++ and Qt), but I will save those for another
day. :-) Suffice to say that if I really cared too deeply about it, I
would build OcamlTV or some other unspeakable atrocity.

Mike
You will lose an important disk file.