Hope none of you use AOL - and Gmail, hotmail, Yahoo, etc.

Michael L Torrie torriem at chem.byu.edu
Fri Feb 3 12:38:05 MST 2006

On Fri, 2006-02-03 at 11:21 -0700, Matthew Walker wrote:

> Except that it already works that way. This pay service won't block delivery
> of non-paying items. They're just much more likely to end up in the junk
> folder. Problem is, NO ONE looks in that folder. If your company's email ends
> up there, it might as well have never arrived.

Hmm.  So does this open up the possibility of marketing firms paying to
send advertising to your box (similar to snail mail junk mail)?  In
other words, they pay a small fee (which they pass on to the original
firms who hired them) and then they are guaranteed that their messages
will hit the inboxes of the recipients.  Of course that currently would
violate anti-spam laws.  However marketing companies could argue that
since they are paying for the bandwidth now (as opposed to free-loading
before) that ISPs and providers cannot legally automatically filter e-
mail on the grounds of cost of resources.  I highly doubt we're headed
for this scenario anytime soon, but it would be an interesting
situation.

Michael