Spamassassin problem

Michael L Torrie torriem at chem.byu.edu
Fri Feb 3 12:33:00 MST 2006

The other thread reminded me of a problem that I'm having with
spamassassin 3.1.0.  Rather than hijack the thread, I'll just start a
new one. :)

Every since I upgraded from 3.0.0 to 3.1.0 (this is using a Dag Wieers
binary; I've not yet tried building my own rpm), frequently I get
messages that slip past spamassassin without even having been looked at
by spamassassin.  The /var/log/maillog reports things like the
following:

Feb  3 12:23:41 mail spamd[469]: child processing timeout
at /usr/bin/spamd line 1088, <GEN134> line 2.
Feb  3 12:23:41 mail spamd[469]: child processing timeout
at /usr/bin/spamd line 1088, <GEN134> line 2.

I've checked on the bug reports and this has been reported, but the
developers are wanting a specific message that triggers this problem.
However I can't provide them with one because the exact same message
sometimes does this and sometimes doesn't, so it isn't message
dependent.  (same message re-run through procmail gets filtered just
fine).  Must be load or something else.  Only about 20 people use
spamassassin (via spamd), so it's not getting hit very hard.

Just wondering if any of you who are running spamassassin have seen this
problem.  I will obviously be working with the spamassassin people on
the spamassassin mailing list about this, but thought I'd check briefly
here.

Michael