verbose output to terminal from within shell script?

Gabriel Gunderson gabe at gundy.org
Fri Feb 3 01:20:00 MST 2006

Wade Preston Shearer wrote:
> I have the --progress flag set for an rsync command but I am running it
> inside a shell script. I ran the script… but it is not printing out the
> progress in the terminal.
> I assume that this is because it was called from within the shell
> script. is there a way to still see the progress?

Maybe you could use `tee` inside your script to split output.  As the
file you write out to, use the terminal you are on.  There has to be a
better way ;)

[gabe at office ~]$ echo "I smell a hack" | tee /dev/pts/0
I smell a hack
I smell a hack

`man tee` for more info

If you don't need the output in your script at all then maybe it would
work just sending it without tee...

[gabe at office ~]$ echo "I smell a hack" > /dev/null

[gabe at office ~]$ echo "I smell a hack" > /dev/pts/0
I smell a hack

Gabe