new hard drive trouble

Christer Edwards christer.edwards at gmail.com
Thu Dec 28 16:18:51 MST 2006

Afternoon,

Santa was nice to me this year and I found myself the proud new owner
of a 500G WD  (WD5000KS WD Caviar SE16) hard drive.  It turns out,
however, that the drive uses SATA and my machines use PATA.  I'm not
up-to-date on my hardware definitions so this is what I *believe* is
the situation.  Bottom line they use different connections and I can't
connect the thing to any of my machines.

Could anyone that is a little more up-to-date on hardware give me some
tips?  Should I just go pick up a PCI SATA controller and connect it
that way?  If so are there any restrictions on where I can use it?
ie; will the controller recognize the drive no matter the size or am I
also restricted on the size the BIOS will recognize?  I was actually
planning on putting it in a fairly old machine that I use as a media
server.  Or, should I return this drive and get one that is more
immediately compatible with my machine?

Thanks

--
Christer Edwards