xorg dvi magic?

Barry Roberts blr at robertsr.us
Thu Dec 28 10:47:52 MST 2006

I plugged my old Athlon XP system (FC6, Radeon 9600 AGP) into my TV
using the DVI connector.  The resolution adjusts correctly AFAICT, but
the X virtual desktop size is larger than the real resolution, which
messes up xine and mplayer in full-screen mode.

My xorg.conf is below.  Since the resolution and size are getting set
automagically, I don't know how to tell X to set the virtual desktop the
same size as the physical desktop.  Anybody know where to set this?

I suppose I could set "NoDDC" and manually configure everything, but if
there's an easier way to keep the DDC info, but JUST override the
virtual desktop size, I would prefer to do that.

        # Xorg configuration created by pyxf86config

        Section "ServerLayout"
                Identifier     "Default Layout"
                Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
        EndSection

        Section "InputDevice"
                Identifier  "Keyboard0"
                Driver      "kbd"
                Option      "XkbModel" "pc105"
                Option      "XkbLayout" "us"
        EndSection

        Section "Device"
                Identifier  "Videocard0"
                Driver      "radeon"
        EndSection

        Section "Screen"
                Identifier "Screen0"
                Device     "Videocard0"
                DefaultDepth     24
                SubSection "Display"
                        Viewport   0 0
                        Depth     24
                EndSubSection
        EndSection

        Excerpts from /var/log/Xorg.0.log:
        (II) RADEON(0): Panel infos found from DDC detailed: 1360x768
        (**) RADEON(0): Pitch = 11534512 bytes (virtualX = 1360,
        displayWidth =
        1408)

Thanks,
Barry Roberts