interesting read

Michael Halcrow mike at halcrow.us
Wed Dec 27 16:47:23 MST 2006

On Tue, Dec 26, 2006 at 01:56:42PM -0700, Christer Edwards wrote:
> http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/vista_cost.txt

- From the article:

- ---
Vista's content protection mechanism only allows protected content to
be sent over interfaces that also have content-protection facilities
built in.  Currently the most common high-end audio output interface
is S/PDIF (Sony/Philips Digital Interface Format).  Most newer audio
cards, for example, feature TOSlink digital optical output for
high-quality sound reproduction, and even the latest crop of
motherboards with integrated audio provide at least coax (and often
optical) digital output.  Since S/PDIF doesn't provide any content
protection, Vista requires that it be disabled when playing protected
content [Note D].  In other words if you've sunk a pile of money into
a high-end audio setup fed from an S/PDIF digital output, you won't be
able to use it with protected content.
- ---

This article was worth reading, of only to find this out. I just
finished building a sound system that includes a standard
multi-channel receiver with an S/PDIF input. If there was any sick
notion in my head of actually buying and installing Vista, this nugget
just killed it.

I will only acquire media content that I can play from my MythTV box,
period. I will not purchase additional special hardware just to play
certain types of content. I will not go through the trouble of
switching my TV and audio receiver inputs to other devices; I have
everything working just the way I want it, all from a single (very
functional) media station. DVD-quality video is generally good enough
for me, and I get plenty of HD content from local ATSC broadcasts. For
instance, in just the last month, I got HD copies of Pirates of the
Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl, Finding Nemo, The Polar
Express, Spider-Man, and Spider-Man 2. I got everything for free via
the antenna sitting on my shelf (all hail those wonderful Linux-only
pcHDTV cards).

I will never purchase a single HD-DVD or Blu-Ray product until I can
play it from my MythTV box, just like I currently can with the DVD
products that I purchase. I will either watch it on DVD or wait for it
to be broadcast via ATSC; it is simply too inconvenient and costly to
do otherwise.

Mike
"Pedro offers you his protection."
 - Napolean Dynamite