interesting read

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Wed Dec 27 11:48:31 MST 2006

On Tue, Dec 26, 2006 at 01:56:42PM -0700, Christer Edwards wrote:
> I don't mean to start any flame wars but I thought this was a very
> interesting read.  Fairly detailed technical writeup about the cost of
> Vista to vendors, manufacturers, driver creation and ultimately
> customers (MS and non-MS alike).  Sure paints a pretty bleak picture..
>
> http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/vista_cost.txt
>
> I'd be interested in hearing what some of the rest of you think about it.

An interesting read, indeed. But also encouraging:

Lots of people will have good reason to start looking for alternatives
to Windows, and that will be good for Linux, BSD, etc.

It also means that there will be a market for used hardware like never
before. So start stocking up on those "new in the box, with driver CD
and instructions" video and other cards, and put them away for five or
ten years. Oh, and that will also be good for non-Windows OSs.

But I think the solution to this mess will come from outside the US,
probably Europe or China. This fits in with my long-term prediction of
a new digital divide: India, China, et al. using a lot of Linux and
Europe using more Windows than China, but less than the US. With
Microsoft going out of its way to stifle innovation, the hardware and
software techical leads will continue to pass out of American
hands. And, as in Iraq, the ruling class of this country won't know
what hit them until afterwards, if ever.