Asterisk Configuration

Gabriel Gunderson gabe at gundy.org
Thu Dec 21 23:42:39 MST 2006

On Thu, 2006-12-21 at 13:54 -0700, Levi Sorenson wrote:
> This server will be in a Co Location with no access to an analog phone
> line.

I've been involved with a set-up like this recently and I can say,
beware of NAT on your user's phones with SIP.  One would think that
OpenVPN would bring it all together, but I'm still seeing DTMF not
working as it should using RTP.  Anyway, heads-up.

> What is the best VOIP service to use with Asterisk?

These guys have been very good to me: http://www.teliax.com/
Not the cheapest, but they can use IAX or SIP and they have been solid.
Stay far away from Broadvoice; you've been warned.

> Do I need any additional hardware or software besides the Asterisk
> server? I  want the connection to be as simple as possible.

Not for all VoIP.