macbook trouble

Hans Fugal hans at fugal.net
Mon Dec 18 09:17:01 MST 2006

On Fri, 15 Dec 2006 at 12:33 -0800, Blake Barnett wrote:

> On Dec 14, 2006, at 8:04 PM, Jonathan Duncan wrote:
>

> >Mine freezes every once in a while, but I have usually attributed
> >it to crazy third-party applications.
>
> Yeah, I usually know when to expect an issue.  Like when playing with
> beta versions of Parallels.
>

> >However, I have had what I consider to be heat issues which turn
> >off the machine altogether which has created some HDD corruption
> >which could in turn cause freezing as well.
>
> I thought my HD problems were heat related as well, but from the
> research I've done I'm fairly certain that it was just a bad hard
> drive.  Get it replaced, they have quite high heat tolerances normally.
>

> >There is a "Migration Assistant" that should be able to migrate all
> >your stuff from one computer to another, although I have not used
> >it yet.
>
> I was just talking about this with my boss the other day, he used it
> while he sent his Macbook Pro in to get a new case.  He was
> _blown_away_ by how comprehensive and easy it was.  His account on
> his Mac Mini is now an exact replica from his Macbook Pro (without
> disk imaging, etc).  Pretty impressive.

What about /opt/local and /usr/local?

You give me food for thought, but how does the process work? Do you have
to send one in, and be without? This one is tagged by the school, would
they fix it or would I have to go through all the red tape here again?

I'll start keeping track of uptimes and what I was doing. Current uptime
is 9 days, btw.

--
Hans Fugal ; http://hans.fugal.net

    -- Johann Sebastian Bach