sendmail woes

Brandon Stout bms at mscis.org
Thu Dec 14 22:50:06 MST 2006

Daniel wrote:
> I am using my webserver to send mail using php's mail function which
> calls sendmail.  Some mail is coming back undeliverable because the
> sender address is invalid.  The server name is web.alpine.k12.ut.us.
> The sender address is apache at web.alpine.k12.ut.us.  I either need to
> change the sender address to webmaster at alpine.k12.ut.us or eliminate
> the sender address altogether.  All mail from the district is
> <username>@alpine.k12.ut.us.  I have tried to change the file
> /etc/mail/local-host-names and that just redirected the mail to the
> webserver instead of the district mail server.  Can someone help me?
>
> -Daniel

Daniel,

On the Sendmail side, are the users who use this form logged in as local
users?  If so, and perhaps even if not, have you tried a virtmap for:

@web.alpine.k12.ut.us   @alpine.k12.ut.us

I'm not sure if that will do what you want - I've never tried a catchall
to a catchall, but perhaps its worth a try.

Brandon Stout
http://mscis.org