macbook trouble

Jonathan Duncan jonathan at bluesunhosting.com
Thu Dec 14 21:04:18 MST 2006

On Thu, 14 Dec 2006, Hans Fugal wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Dec 2006 at 12:50 -0800, Blake Barnett wrote:
>> There's something wrong with your machine, or the software on it.  I
>> wouldn't put up with it.  Take it back in every time it crashes (Or
>> take pictures everytime and save them up for a trip to the apple
>> store.) until they replace parts or give you a new machine.  They
>> will eventually.  :)
>
> s/crash/freeze/
>
> It was ordered through the school. They did get applecare but I don't
> want to play the redtape game unless something really is bad. Even if it
> was as simple as walking into the store, transferring stuff from one HDD
> to the other is more of a pain than I want to deal with unless I know
> something's wrong.
>
> I don't think there's anything physically wrong, anyhow. It's maybe not
> half as bad as windows - it does go a week or two between freezes.
> Mostly I learn "don't do that" and it doesn't freeze, so I think it's
> software issues.

Mine freezes every once in a while, but I have usually attributed it to
crazy third-party applications.

However, I have had what I consider to be heat issues which turn off the
machine altogether which has created some HDD corruption which could in
turn cause freezing as well.

There is a "Migration Assistant" that should be able to migrate all your
stuff from one computer to another, although I have not used it yet.

Jonathan